#24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-17, 09:45

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Individual results trump scientific guesses. Eric Westman did a recent video for Adapt answering the protein question. His protein recommendation was "I don't know how much protein you need." He gives that sort of answer a lot. A lot of low carb leaders will give a best guess, I think we should pay more attention when Westman says he doesn't know than when a lot of other people say that they do. Well-conducted, high-powered double blind studies are called the gold standard for a reason. But they're only good for finding what's generally effective. individual metabolism is too varied for this to be ideal. Optimal protein intake? How do we approach it? Suppose you have 100 people, one is an otherwise healthy 80 year old, but sarcopenic if protein is less than 100 grams per day, one has a form of epilepsy, with an upper threshold of 60 grams of protein, otherwise the diet isn't ketogenic enough to prevent seizures. Do you suggest that the whole population eat at least enough protein to keep that one 80 year old from losing lean mass--that's how it's been done in the past--or do you suggest that the whole population keep protein low enough to keep the most vulnerable individual from getting in trouble? Group studies are good for getting a ballpark. But well-conducted n=1 are the gold standard for the individual. Except for things like cyanide.

I agree, individual results trump anything else. If it works, it works, endof.