#57   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 20:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushfire
Just throwing this out as a wild thought with no science behind it - Is a low fat diet really low fat if you are losing weight (fat) on it? Using the CICO theory (I know, pretty suspect but I think it's illustrative), if you go on a 1,200 calorie per day zero fat diet and need 2,000 calories to maintain weight, then aren't you really on a 40% fat diet? You would be "eating" 800 fat calories every day.

That much dietary fat eaten along with the carbohydrate would increase considerably the amount of insulin needed to handle a given glucose/fructose load. The consequence of getting the fat from body stores vs. diet is very different. Or it should be. Normally, insulin reduces blood free fatty acids, so there's less competition for uptake with glucose during glucose absorption. Fat digested at the same time as carbs sort of interferes with that, and some people aren't that good at getting free fatty acids down, even if they didn't eat any fat with the carbs.

I guess the big question is--does the 1200 calorie, fat-free diet leave you hungry? I know it would leave me hungry, but I've seen people write about doing the potato hack and having a similar decrease in appetite to what some experience on low carb. All the potato hack did for me is make me want to stop eating potatoes.