#11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-09, 05:26

Plan: My own.
Stats: 308/165/140 Male 175cm / 5"9
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlh_uk
This is good advice for someone following a more typical eating pattern with less protein. However, with the majority of people eating a consistent higher protein / fat diet here - the body will have a steady supply of amino acids in the blood stream through the day. As long as enough protein is being eaten at each meal its not so important to take shakes with cardio. I would still recommend having them after a weights workout though.

I agree, it's totally not needed. I've seen some studies on the whole "window of opportunity" after working out - the benefits are really, really minimal if you get a steady supply of protein troughout the day. The whole concept are pretty much taken from athletes and bodybuilders, and the average joe's need for aminoacids can't really be compared to people running around with 5% bodyfat and 150lbs of muscle.

Same thing with insulin spiking with High GI carbs after working out to promote protein synthesis. Same thing with cardio on empty stomach. Same thing with not eating before bed. Same thing with frequent meals will boost your metabolism.

I think the cortisol released due to worrying about an issue like this is causing more muscle loss than doing cardio without drinking a protein shake afterwards.

It's old myths still going strong in the fitness industry, that's about it.

Get sufficient Vitamins and Minerals (100% GDA, the very least)
Get sufficient protein. (1g pr lb)
Get sufficient EFAs. (6g)
Get sufficient calories depending on your goal.

Spread the meals out troughout the day for a steady stream of energy - win.