#9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 15:20

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1
I thought and have read that eating 5-6 small meals a day is better in order to help your metabolism. So can someone explain how fasting or only eating 1 large meal a day is better for you? And does fasting work for everyone? I know that I have a problem fasting because I am always hungry and usually eat several small meals a day.

Way back in the day, when our ancestors had to hunt for food. They did not eat 3 meals a day with in between snacks. You can only stand so much jerky.
They probably never ate more than once a day. No doubt there were times when they ate even less. If you think about what foods they most likely ate, they were able to keep their insulin/glucose levels in tip top shape.

As I considered this I began to conclude that my insulin is much more stable, perhaps even a little lower than what it was when I was just plain old low carbing. Up to a couple of months ago, I was eating atleast 4 full meals a day and a small snack. Although low carb, My eating habits kept me hungry.

It began to occur to me that my digestive system was not completing its job between meals. Perhaps this is what a healthy diet is lacking. By eating before everything had a chance to digest, just might raise insulin levels, cause constipation and other digestive relatied annoyances. I thought about the digestion issue because I noticed that now that I have included IF to my WOE, I have a nice BM within an hour after my first meal of the day...everyday. My tummy area doesn't expand as much towards the end of the day. AND, my waist is measuring 1/2 inch smaller than it did a couple of months ago, and I lost around 8ish lbs since April. In addition, my TOM, so far seems to be about 3 days shorter. This is great since it was lasting for about 6-7 days.

So by allowing my gut to fully digest a day's worth of food, I think that I am improving insulin/glucose stability, bowel function, and female hormonal issues by not eating so often. I make certain that each meal is healthy. All meals have protein, veggies/fruit and fats. An I have had mcuh welcomed results.