View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-18, 04:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi, since you have a pot of stevia, I will guess you have a powdered blend of stevia and erythritol used for baking. It is really mostly erythritol and considered safe to use by most low carbers in that it does not raise your blood sugar or insulin, and the carbs not counted.

Quote:
Erythritol is a low carb, non-glycemic, sugar-free sweetener that does not raise blood sugars or insulin. It is made from glucose that has been fermented with a microorganism found in honeycomb. Erythritol is absorbed then excreted unchanged via the urine. It does not cause the gastro intestinal problems or affect the gut flora that other sweeteners can often cause.

I don’t bake much but when I do, that is that I use, Swerve or Pyure. I don’t know the brands you have in the UK, but here is a good article on sweeteners from NZ with brands included. https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-sweeteners/. This site has some quick and simple cookie/biscuit recipes. I like her recipes because they are not too sweet, you will find your desire for sweetness dials down after a while low carb, and I cut back on the amount of sweeteners in many recipes.

Stevia extract truly is carb free if you wanted to use that, I put the flavored drops in coffee, but it would change the texture of baked goods. The article explains all the pros and cons of a host of products.
Welcome and good luck baking!