#8   ^
Old Sun, May-13-18, 17:47

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
The teaspoon idea comes from the Public Health Collaboration in the UK.

Here in NZ, we have another front-of-packaging labelling system called the Healthy Star Rating, where the label on the back is basically condensed to a 1-5 star number indicating the product's supposed overall healthiness. Problem with this of course, is that the formula is based on standard guideline recommendations, so something like a bottle of cream gets 1 star because of the saturated fat, while many brands of grain-based cereal get 4+ stars.

So I personally support the teaspoons of sugar idea as not just a way to reinforce the particular issue with sugar to the general public, but here it would also presumably replace the HSRs as well.

I'd like to avoid sounding contentious here but it's very important that units of measure be standard, especially when there's several different fields being discussed like the science of sugar, the economics of sugar, the politics of sugar, the health effects of sugar, the use of sugar at home (how we measure it when we use it in a recipe), and so forth.

Where, besides at home when we measure how much to use in a recipe for example, is the teaspoon used as unit of measure? In the official guidelines. In my mind, everything I know about the guidelines tells me that's the worst argument I can have in favor of using the teaspoon as a unit of measure of food in the context of discussing the health effects of that food. I mean seriously, aren't we all trying to get as far away from the official guidelines as we can?

Overall I agree with the suggestions. Maybe I am being too contentious here. I guess what I really want is that a list of suggestions be as good as I can think of.