Old Tue, May-09-06, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/168/??? Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH
How do you know the 5 lbs. is fat and not a combination of things?

I think it was a mistake to switch to higher reps, unless your goal is to work strength endurance. However, I think adding the extra sets and cardio is fine as your program looks like it can accomodate that.

You didn't say anything here about what your calorie intake is and how many calories you burn in a day, so assuming that you're not sure, it's going to be hard to know how much activity you'll have to do each week to get the cuts and definition you're looking for. Not eating all the typical carb stuff is probably a good thing overall, but if your calories are still too high, you're not going to see the results you want. Those carb items are a good place to start dropping some calories though.

To answer some of your questions...I would say that the 5 lbs wasn't muscle because this is a program that I've been doing for a couple years now. I only instituted the change (which was more cardio essentially) only a few weeks ago, and gaining 5 lbs of muscle in that short period is pretty much impossible. In addition, knowing my own bodytype, I don't gain muscle that quickly. I don't take creatine, but I do take 100% whey protein three times a week after my lift days.

I always under the impression that 'low weights/high reps' was the way to get cuts and 'high weights/low reps' was more for gaining mass. Is this more myth than fact?

You're right though, i've never paid attention to caloric intake simply because I've only needed to count carbs as is dictated by the atkins diet. So are you saying that consuming tons of protein can be counter to getting definition if that protein amount exceeds a certain calorie limit?