View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-08, 10:32

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
More intense exercise - running a few miles per day, for example - is a different story, and Gary would be the first to agree

Wrong. Sorry. There was a study where they took average people (some over weight) and trained them to RUN MARATHONS. The result? Most of the women they trained did not lose weight, but in fact, gained.

(Now...I need to find that study...or put on my asbestos underwear )

That being said, I LIKE exercise. It can be fun...water aerobics and belly dance are 2 of my favorites. But when I was going to the gym, exercising an hour a day, 6 days a week for 2 YEARS I never lost a pound and I started having problems with my knee.

If you start low carbing, I think a lot of people SPONTANEOUSLY start to exercise because they finally have energy and just feel so damn good.

But if you are seriously overweight, starting to jog or something like that is going to do more harm to your joints than good to your body. If you are 350 lbs.....relax, stay in bed and drop your weight with low carb until you get to 250 if you can get away with it (most can't because we have to earn a living or at least feed the damn cats). THEN start biking or hiking or swimming. Once you reach 'onederland', then it makes sense to start running marathons if you want.

Sometimes it is just plain stupid to exercise. Anyone watch Work Out on Bravo? Only took a couple of workouts for a woman in her high 200's to tear up her knee. Jumping jacks, jogging on the beach....what they hell were they thinking?