Old Mon, May-28-18, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%
Default Low Carb Fast(ish) Food Options 2018

Hey folks,

I don't often have time to prepare breakfast or lunch at home, so buying something for these meals is just a reality I have to deal with. I'm looking for suggestions for the least worst options out there if you have any.

Unfortunately in Canada we have a lot less choices than in the USA, but by all means post American options as well. I'll be taking a trip down there this summer, and I hope this thread might be helpful for everybody.

Here are just a few that I've found:

1. Wendy's Salads (with grilled chicken). These are reasonably good salads and with grilled chicken can be reasonably low carb. Unfortunately a full size salad is about $10 CAD which is highway robbery, but sigh. For even more money you can get a crappy iceberg lettuce side salad.

2. Carl Jrs. lettuce wrapped Jalapeno Thickburger or lettuce wrapped Chicken Club. . These are reasonably tasty and reasonably low carb. Unfortunately they actually charge you 50 cents extra for the lettuce wrap as if to say FU to low-carbers, and they come out to about $9 CAD just for the wrap and nothing else, which is insane. They also fall apart about halfway through eating and you need to finish off with a knife and fork.

3. Denny's or Smitty's Steak and Eggs or Omelletes. You can usually ask them substitute a (usually lousy) salad for the hash browns and toast. Sometime they'll bee jerks and charge you extra for it. And sometimes the sliced tomatoes are rancid. Sigh.

4. McDonald's Iced Coffee (Sugar Free Vanilla). Summertime must and reasonably priced.

5. Opa Souvlaki Skewer(s) on Greek Salad. It's not on the menu board but you can usually get them to sell you a skewer (or two, for me), your choice of meat, on a greek salad. The price isn't the best for what you get. Costs about the same as the big platter you'd get with the salad + rice + potatoes and they don't exactly replace the starches with that much more salad.

I've noticed most places have piss poor veggie or salad option into which they put no effort, and give you fleetingly small portion sizes if you ask them to sub them for the starches. Does lettuce really cost that much more than rice, bread and potatoes?

Of course there are exceptions. Went to a fancy steakhouse the other day and they were very happy to sub a salad for the potatoes and although it wasn't big, it was prepared exquisitely. You could even tell the dressing was made in-house. They didn't even charge extra, which was decent of them considering how much I was paying for the main. Veggies don't have to suck but they require some effort and very few places even make the effort.

But life would be simpler if potatoes didn't make you fat.

So do you guys have any other ideas or go-to fast(ish) food meals? Please post. I need more ideas.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links