View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 13:21
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I didn't test my BG for the longest of times. When I did start I was at your current weight and I had similar FBG readings (100 to 110 range). That was the same FBG that I'd gotten at the doctor's office a few weeks into the diet and when I was first diagnosed as diabetic. I expected better. That is when I did my first few IFs. I also worked on not snacking after dinner - building in a 12 hour fast between dinner and breakfast most days. I was also walking regularly (until I broke my foot in Dec 2014). Within a month or two my FBG dropped significantly and is now typically in the lower 80's. It does still bounce around... as low as the mid 60's and as high as the mid 90's. I've seen it go up after a long walk. My pre-dinner BG is often lower than my FBG. I tried to find reason in it and failed. I do credit the fasts and exercise with bringing my average FBG down - but why if fluctuates so much is anyone's guess.

The next A1C lab I had done was about 3 months after I started testing my BG. My BG the day of my labs was 85. My A1C was 5.3. I was hoping for a little better, but I can't complain. It was 6.7 the year before and that included 5 weeks of eating low carb.

These days my FBG is mostly in the upper 70's or lower 80's. So it really hasn't changed much in the past year. What has changed is my postprandial readings. A year ago I tested my reaction to several LC dinners, taking a pre-meal reading and 4 post meal readings and 30 minute intervals. A 10 or 15 net carb dinner would often push my BG well above 140 for a spell, returning to near 100 by the end of the 2 hour period after the meal. These days, such a meal will have little effect on my BG. I've had some 20 to 25 net carb meals recently where my pre-meal BG was in the 80's and the meal did not raise my BG above 100 in the post-prandial tests. I've clearly made great strides with the insulin resistance. I have another A1C scheduled for next month and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.