View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 16:51

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Eades Q&A, 2006 re : dietary fiber yoghurt I didn't see a more recent discussion on the Protein Power site:

Quote:
Diana F says:
September 3rd, 2006 at 9:58 am

Hi, Dr. Mike.

A little off the track here, but do you believe in supplementing with acidophilus to boost the healthy flora in the intestine? Also, what’s your opinion on the “yogurt exception” which states that the carbs in yogurt are actually lower than the nutrition label suggests due to the healthy bacteria consuming the lactose?

Hi Diana–

I don’t supplement myself nor do I have my patients supplement for a couple of reasons. First, I’m not really a bowel-oriented kind of guy, especially where a low-carb diet is concerned. Second, if one eats the right kind of diet, the bacteria in the bowel will respond and grow in the proper proportions. There are a zillion different kinds of bacteria in the GI tract, all in constant warfare and turf battles. If the food coming down the gut has a lot of carbs in it, then those bacteria that flourish on carbs will have a field day and reproduce in much greater numbers than those will that subsist on fat. If fat comes down the tract instead of carbs, the opposite happens. As long as the diet is a proper one (read: whole food, low-carb), then I figure the gut flora will take care of themselves. Second, I’ve never seen (and I’m not saying I’ve seen everything in print; I’m not particularly interested in this topic, so I haven’t spent a lot of time searching) a decent study showing that acidophilus does anything positive for those on low-carb diets.

As to the yogurt question: I don’t know. I don’t really eat yogurt unless forced, so I haven’t paid much attention to anything having to do with it.

Best–

MRE

Cheers--
Terry-24