#76   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-10, 21:48

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Good for you! That's great. You would probably catch me, too. I tend to go out too fast and run out of gas near the end on the longer races. I made that mistake on my half marathon last September. I had a *great* first 16k and then slowed right down for the last 5. I do the long distances in 10s & 1s, running for 10, walking for 1, as a rule and I had to really, really fight with myself not to walk for more in that last 5k.

That's why I don't run/walk - I would just end up walking. I totally believe in it and think I would probably be faster if I did it, but I have zilch discipline for switching off like that - it's a lot of work and requires more mental toughness than just plodding along IMO. I deeply respect the people I see at races doing it. I have always been very consistent with my pacing even in the latter stages of races but I wonder sometimes if it's good. All the stories of champions I've read have portrayed their early days more like you - too fast and then the great burnout. You just learn better from mistakes.

I injured myself on this steep, deeply cambered downhill in my last half - I was in horrible pain and it never occurred to me to just stop or walk, just stupidly stubborn. I had 5K to go and every muscle and tissue in my pelvis started spasming and screaming "no". I had no idea I could hurt myself in the area 9if it was my hamstring or Achilles I would have stopped immediately) and I ended up with an ab muscle torn off it's connective tissue.
Sponsored Links