View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-18, 09:09

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I decided early on that she didn't know what she was talking about, but got nearly to the end (never did quite finish reading it) before I noticed that nearly every other line was contradictory to the one before it.

- Cutting out sugar means also avoiding starches, but means you should eat whole grains (which are about 90% starch).

- Cutting out sugar is a diet, and a diet is interpreted by the body as famine, leading to stress, and eating disorders... so she's advocating a diet that restricts calories and fat, because apparently actually inducing a famine state through cutting calories and fat isn't interpreted by the body as famine, and causes no stress.

- Aussies only average 2 servings of fruit a day, so don't reduce it even more by cutting out fruit. When you eat fruit, it's bad to eat expensive berries, while cutting out cheap bananas. It's good to eat concentrated fruit (raisins) that doesn't fill you up, but bad to eat blueberries.

She obviously has no clue about how LC works, that there's a difference between LC in general, Atkins, Protein Power, Paleo... as well as no clue about how sugars and starches of ALL KINDS affect blood sugar and lead to diabetes. The list just goes on and on. So glad she's not wasting her time concentrating on how the Krebbs cycle works, because it's much more important to explain to a diabetic how to reduce fats and calories to (white knuckle her way through) sufficient weight loss, while still savoring her piece of chocolate cake.

And Rose - I certainly don't hold it against you that this came from an Aussie. This kind of stupidity is rampant everywhere that "nutrition" is officially taught.

The store where I work has hired an in-store nutritionist, and she waffles just as much about this kind of thing.

It was right before thanksgiving when they had a huge cake, and a bunch of pizzas in the break room for employees. One of my coworkers asked her what she thought of all that, and her reply (with a shrug and huge smile) was "Moderation in all things. I figure we're all going to be eating a lot of lean protein for the next few days, so it all works out". Lean protein of course was referring to leftover turkey from thanksgiving - never mind that the vast majority of the traditional Thanksgiving meal (and therefore most of the leftovers) will be nothing but carbs - mashed potatoes, thickened gravy, bread stuffing, sweet potato casserole (with brown sugar and/or marshmallows *gag*), cranberry sauce, green bean casserole (probably the least carby traditional side dish on the table, at only 12 g carbs/half cup serving), rolls, and pumpkin pie. Some families have even more carby traditional dishes with their thanksgiving meal, and many run out of the lean breast meat from the turkey on Thanksgiving day. So much for several days of lean protein - more like several days of nothing but leftover carbs.

I'm pretty sure she's in charge of choosing the free snacks provided in the break room too (a new feature since her hire), because they're so "healthy" - there's usually a variety of granola bars available, bananas, and sometimes some mandarin oranges. But in the spirit of "moderation in all things", sometimes there are boxes of donuts or containers of cookies too.