View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 15:46

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
That doesn't mean you are not following conventional medical wisdom by taking vitamins and probiotics.
Yes, I hear what you're saying. I don't think multi-vitamins, calcium, and other things I take as supplements would be considered outside the realm of conventional medicine.

Dr. Atkins, back in the 70s, practiced what he called "complementary medicine," meaning the use of what might have been "unusually large" dosages of vitamins, minerals, and herbal supplements. He called them "vita-nutrients," and I have his book on that. I think it would be important to have the advice of a professional before attempting to solve medical issues with even "normal" kinds of supplements in high amounts. He considered it a significant part of his practice as a cardiologist and weight loss guru.

My unfinished bottle of Green Tea Extract, however, is hidden far back in the recesses of the linen closet. I feel the same way about it that I feel about the "look twenty years younger in two weeks" face creams I have occasionally purchased. What a silly dreamer. Oh well.

My brother the doctor believes fervently in the Power of Placebo. So perhaps my use of supplements will be, as long as possible, a case of mind over matter. That's fine with me!