View Single Post
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 21:07
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I had never heard of this "diet" until you posted, but I happened to be in Barne's & Noble tonight and saw it on the shelf so I found a big comfy chair and perused it--not difficult considering it is a small book. There are some things in it that reminded me of another book I read called Eat Fat - Lose Fat by Mary Enig, a nutritionist with the Weston-Price Foundation, who suggests drinking a glass of water mixed with a tablespoon of coconut oil before each meal. However, she differentiates between certain oils like corn and soybean oil and saturated oils, like coconut oil. Both talk about leveling out your blood sugar. Robert's "Shangri-La Diet" does recommend low carbing and eating low GI foods if you have a lot of weight to lose. The one thing that I didn't see either author address (albeit I didn't read every word in the Sangri-La Diet book) were the other factors that affect overeating such as emotional eating and slow metabolism. Both of those factors have a great bearing on why I have difficulty losing weight. Emotional eating has nothing whatsoever to do with being hungry. Therefore any appetite surpressent, whether it be an appetite surpressing drug, the regime outlined in the Shangri-la "diet," eating proteins that are digested more slowly or anything that helps blood sugar not to spike, do not help when I am anxious, depressed or upset. That is a psychological issue that unfortunately I and many others have to get a handle on before we can attain lasting weight loss.