View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-24, 06:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

If anyone on this board has developed opposite routes to success, it's probably JEY and I I had to cut carbs back and she had to add them in. I lean carnivore and she's more omnivore.

So I was thinking about how unhappy we'd probably be on a reality show called, "Food Swap." And it would make as much sense as 90 Day Fiance. Yes, I moved in with DH about 90 days after we started dating, but we'd been friends for months before that. Here we are 23 years later, still happy about it... but I'm not recommending it for everyone.

Quote:
I have not listened to the interview - but he makes it clear in the except that he really hates the paleo diet or the idea of any diet being referred to as optimal.

Why would he HATE the paleo diet? I'm not curious enough to explore, but Why? Doesn't every other species have a species-optimum diet? Which varies, like finches on Galapagos, by environmental pressure. But we are all, still, the SAME species, which is a blend of many more kinds of early people than we'd ever imagined before DNA analysis.

I do think our inherited enzymes follow our DNA pattern. If we have a lowlands tropical background, like Pacific island cultures, Gary Taubes has evidence that fish and coconut keeps Islanders healthy, while the supply ship that took a while to repair carried Western Industrialized diet, and the Islanders got sick again.

But it doesn't mean they can only eat fish and coconut. They can move to some other country and eat their food. Often, with great enjoyment!

If he's trying to say everyone should respect their own variations regarding diet, great, but why would he HATE the paleo diet? When Neanderthin was truly groundbreaking, I admire Primal from Mark Sisson because he thinks dairy is fine for those who tolerate it (the Masai don't suffer from it,) and Wheatbelly explained it.

This is why we must be careful of evolutionary biology at this point in time. It's mostly guesswork, and invaded by scientist ego. Whatever they think they think, personally, gets expressed in these theories, which have very little evidentiary basis by their nature. I'm still shocked at some of the unscientific speculation I've read in books that got published.

I "jumped the line" of such speculation when I got my DNA geography. I may have been born in farm country, but my ancestors' environment wouldn't allow for much agriculture. Fishing far north and grazing cows on summer mountain tops is where my genetics come from.

But would I thrive on fish and coconut the same way? Probably. I eat a lot of it now. Because my body likes it.

Quote:
Renowned cardiologist Dr. Steven Gundry reveals that gluten is just one variety of a common, and highly toxic, plant-based protein called lectin. Lectins are found in grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, and conventional dairy products.

Beans try to kill me, while dairy hasn't given me a bit of trouble when I eat it fermented, as I do. Unless it's heavy cream, which is only fat. I avoid lectins in milk, apparently, by not liking milk.

One would think Dr. Gundry would be a carnivore advocate. But he still wants me to eat a plant-based diet! His recipes would KILL me. I'd have to eat so much plant stuff to get to enough protein. He's right... but he's wrong; to focus on only one thing.

I've concluded Dr. Gundry still struggles to reconcile his training as a cardiologist with his knowledge of lectins.

Quote:
Dr. Gundry recommends a diet low in lectins by consuming the following foods:

Pasture-raised chicken and beef
Cooked sweet potatoes
Leafy green vegetables
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Asparagus
Celery
Garlic
Onions
Mushrooms
Extra virgin olive oil
Olives

I've bolded the ones loaded with oxalates. A big flare was from a celery and carrot plate we had for the holidays one year. One of my first oxalate lessons

Just trying to illustrate how far astray a person can be led by focusing on one thing. Trying to avoid lectins ran me aground on a different plant poison. Am I just more allergic to plants than average? Probably. I don't have the enzymes to disable all of this plant stuff.

Plus, I've learned, more people are having plant trouble than before, because our modern plant stuff has extra issues. It's not traditional farming & food prep. In a recent discussion, Calianna and I shared how we both grew up with a tradition of boiling vegetables to death. They no longer soak beans, they just can them.

But now, fresh, they are served al dente... and have more toxins as a result. Bred for bigness and beauty, which dilutes the nutrients. Harvested green and soaked in chemicals to retard spoilage. Sprayed with oxalate to delay yellowing, because they are stored longer and longer for maximum profit. And soaked in Roundup constantly... and we know now... too close to harvest.

All at the very point in time when we are supposed to make that 3/4ths of our diet?

This isn't about nutrition. This is deliberate confusion and lying about the effects of their greed.