#12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-24, 21:58

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I moved after I had already lost 50 lbs but still had plenty more to go. My new doctor, who is better than most, used to feel it necessary to tell me that I was obese and needed to lose weight and I would remind her that I had already lost a significant amount of weight. She had never seen me at my heaviest. When I finally reached a “normal” weight according to bmi I asked her if she could please stop telling me I needed to lose weight and she agreed.

I seriously doubt that would ever happen for me, since even when I was at what was a normal weight for me, I was still overweight. Not a lot, but enough when seeing a Dr who was fully tied into the restrictive height/weight charts and BMI, I should still lose weight.

My mom took me to a Dr one time when I was about 14, and he told me that I needed to lose 3 lbs. I was too heavy, by THREE lousy pounds. Before that, I hadn't really given much thought about my weight. I knew that I wasn't as thin as most girls my age, but I certainly wasn't fat at that point in my life.

But of course that started the ball rolling of trying to lose weight by trying to eat less, and ending up so hungry that I ate far more than usual, until I was at least 20 lbs heavier by the time I was 19.
Quote:
This doctor has many good qualities but she looks like a lifelong ectomorph who perhaps finds it hard to understand the life journeys of us endomorphs.

I had a good friend who was naturally very thin (ectomorph).

She had very little appetite as it was, and said she would eat just enough so that she wasn't hungry any more, but wasn't quite full. I couldn't imagine that, since I was either ravenously hungry or stuffed, and usually ravenously hungry again an hour or so after eating (even if I was still half-stuffed).

She couldn't sleep at night if she ate "too late" - she needed several hours after eating for her stomach to settle enough so that she could sleep. It wasn't unusual at all for me to be excessively sleepy and doze off an hour after eating.

She never ate breakfast - just wasn't hungry until at least mid-afternoon, so she drank multiple cups of black coffee until she finally felt a little bit hungry many hours later. I was always hungry at breakfast time, so I ate.

If you're keeping track, that means she generally only ate one small meal each day - and that was usually sometime around mid to late afternoon, because she simply wasn't hungry before then. I ate 3 meals a day, plus snacks, because I was HUNGRY all the time.

I mean it was obvious that nothing about the way we each felt hunger, fullness, or digested food was the least bit similar - and yet she simply couldn't understand why so many people were fat, when all they needed to do was just put down the fork and push away from the table a little sooner.

You're very right that the ectomorph/those who are naturally thin just don't understand the endomorph life journey.

But even though going back to LC has done a tremendous amount to give me a more normal appetite, made it easier for me to have a relatively empty stomach and not feel the desperate need to eat, and I can now easily go 6-8 daytime hours without feeling ferocious hunger - I'm still not able to eat the very small amount of food she did to feel full, and still get hungry more than once a day. I'm still an endomorph, just like she was still an ectomorph all her life.