#14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-19, 08:36

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
If they subsidized foids that were actually GOOD for us...

The thing is there is some overlap in what's considered healthy by the USDA, and what us LCers consider good (LC friendly veggies, berries, avocados, salmon, olive oil, etc), so I don't have a problem with that part of it. It only becomes a real problem if they start tracking everything we buy, penalizing us for not buying potatoes, legumes, and whole wheat bread, while further penalizing us for buying butter, beef, pork, and HWC.

I see this at work - we have an in-store nutritionist, and several months ago, they started giving employees a very small discount on "healthy" food. Of course that includes whole grain bread, all fruit and veggies, and a lot of middle aisle canned or boxed items that are low fat, low cholesterol, high fiber, and/or low in sodium and added sugar. But since each food and product is analyzed individually according to their entire nutritional profile (not just macros and cholesterol, but all vitamins and minerals), some things that are surprising to me have merited that little discount on my order, such as chicken livers. I knew that chicken livers were an extremely good source of folate (several times more folate by weight than spinach), but was amazed to see that wasn't counteracted by the fact that they contain a lot of fat and cholesterol. So there are lots of things I can buy that merit that discount - berries, all the LC friendly veggies, seafood, most poultry, some beef, and even eggs and chicken livers.