#208   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-18, 12:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
As for the amount of protein (again, looking at this for myself) at age 73 the recommendation for protein consumption is high. Eating to hunger is also a joke because who has hunger in ketosis?
One thing I've noticed over the years when switching between vegan, ovo-lacto vegetarian, SAD and dairy-free carnivore diets is that animal protein increases my energy. I'm 66" and now 64, and I had no energy on 46g (my RDA) of vegan protein, slightly more energy when half my RDA was dairy protein, but a significant increase when I got 46g of protein from meat/poultry/fish.

Many of the nutritionists/doctors saying you need 0.8-1 g (or more) of protein per kg are the same ones pushing mediterranean-type diets, so probably 1/3 to half of that protein is plant-based. Also, most do not distinguish whether those kilograms are current weight, ideal weight, or lean body mass. Most of the studies were done by sports medicine doctors who actually used LBM, not total weight, when setting protein requirements. Rosedale gave a 1-hr interview and it wasn't until the question period afterwards that he clarified that when he said "weight" he meant LBM (since muscles need protein, our bodyfat doesn't), while the average listener was thinking current or ideal weight. My LBM is 48 kg (needing 38-48g protein), my ideal weight is 61 kg (needing 49-61g protein), so I aim to get at least 48g of meat/poultry/egg/fish protein; note that is close to my RDA. For me, the extra protein from vegs, nuts & dairy makes the total higher, but I don't think that they are really worth counting in my case. At 139 lbs & 25% fat, your target range for protein would be similar to mine, bluesinger.

When IFing, I pick my meat/poultry/egg/fish proteins for the day, add enough fat for satiety and a bit of vegs for interest. Typically this is 24g of animal protein in each of two meals, but when I'm really really busy, I make a big salad in a Tupperware with lid, add my animal proteins + fat for the day and eat it during my IF window.

Protein Power & The Zone told me I needed 80g of (mixed) protein, so that's what I ate, but it was probably 45-50g animal protein. Mike Eades pointed to an article about middle-aged women losing more when they increased that to 100g protein. I did that (mostly by adding more chicken breast) for a solid two months and it did work, but I just felt hungrier & thirstier and suspect that the extra protein just caused me to excrete and the extra 2 lbs of weight loss was water.

Now that I am entering senior citizenhood, I am concerned about maintaining muscle mass, so I plan to step up my non-dairy animal protein to a minimum of 60, which is 25% higher than 1.0 X LBM. Seniors eating beany/grainy diets may need 80-100g of protein to build and maintain muscle, but it is probably the ~60g from animal protein that does most of the work, while the rest of the protein causes inflammation … which makes exercise painful.