View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-18, 10:09

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

The eating too much and growing fat part, and the adipose expansion and ectopic lipid accumulation part, are not the same phenomenon.

Adipose expansion is fat tissue growth. Ectopic lipid accumulation is accumulation of lipid outside of adipose tissue, i.e. in muscle tissue for example.

Anyways, the mouse experiment with overexpression of antioxidants actually shows greater fat tissue growth, i.e. the mice grew fatter.

We have two obvious examples of this difference with the Jersey cows which are typically lean (little or no marbling), and the Angus cows which are typically fat (lots of marbling). When these two species are fattened before slaughter, marbling doesn't change, instead the degree of fat accumulation where there is already fat tissue increases. So, in the Jersey cows, most excess fat accumulation occurs outside muscles with muscles remaining relatively lean, in the Angus cows marbling becomes thicker and there's more fat outside muscles as well just like in the Jersey cows.

So how are they fattened? We force them to sit on the couch and watch TV all day and night, right? Har har. But seriously, we feed them grains, mostly corn and wheat. We don't force-feed them (i.e. eat too much), we just change their diet.

How it applies to humans, because it does apply to humans at least conceptually. Our fat tissue grows bigger from excess antioxidants, but at least ectopic lipid accumulation isn't a problem, so we're healthy-obese (as absurd as that sounds). Or, our fat tissue doesn't grow (cuz we breathe in lots and lots of oxygen with our lungs, cuz that's what they're there for, ya?), instead ectopic lipid accumulation spreads (cuz breathing in lots and lots of oxygen with our lungs is a bad thing apparently, that's how we get punished for it, doh!).

What they actually meant to say:
Quote:
It is expected that the results of this study will lead to the development of drugs targeting Fat ROS to induce healthy adipose expansion make people fatter, which will lead to treatment of obese type 2 diabetes.