Old Wed, Apr-25-18, 09:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr
Thanks teaser.

I thought too much protein can risk converting to carbs?

As for the rest of my daily intake- I'm usually right at 22 carbs/day and 2000 - 2400 cals/day.

Just a comment here:

Here's a video link (apology if it requires a DietDoctor.com membership, but the first month is free and you can cancel if you don't want a sustained membership) to a presentation by Dr. Ben Bickman on why you should not fear protein on a low carb or keto diet. Based on actual studies and not speculation, people consuming protein on low carb diets have a much lower insulin:glucagon ratio (~1.3) compared with those on a SAD approach - where I:G ratio (~70) is vastly different.

Video Link:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/pr...utoplay=1853740

The quote from Roger Unger really got my attention:
Quote:
"Without exception, the insulin:glucagon ratio declines as the need for endogenous glucose production and/or fuel production increases."

Protein consumption and impact on fuel is based on the context of the diet one is consuming. Those consuming low carb don't experience the significant increase in endogenous glucose (carb) production that those consuming a SAD WOE experience. My current view is that those of us following a keto WOE can increase protein to a degree (anywhere from 1-2 grams/kg of lean body weight) without significantly changing the production of ketone bodies. I test my ketone levels, and I'm still in ketosis after consuming more protein.

So, the protein in keto protein shakes shouldn't pose a problem with carb conversion if you're following a ketogenic eating approach. I can't speak to the remaining ingredients, as I have not tried protein shakes. I tend to be wary of these products, and that doesn't mean they are not effective, I'm just wary of certain concoctions in order to stay consistent with my WOE. All the best.