View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-18, 09:58

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
I eat everything I want, in moderation. My meals — mostly homemade — are heavily loaded with vegetables, and I choose calorie-controlled snacks like popcorn at 35 calories a cup, a graham cracker at 59 calories for two squares, and ice cream (really ice milk) at 100 to 150 calories a half cup. No seconds!

My weight maintenance secrets are simple: I read nutrition labels before I buy anything in a package, I practice portion control, and I exercise and weigh myself every day to stay within a two-pound range appropriate for my height. If the number on the scale begins to creep up, I may walk, bike or swim a little more and eat a little less for a few days.

Oh if only I'd known these simple rules for weight control 35 years ago! If only I'd practiced moderation in all things, no seconds, and if the scale started to creep up a couple pounds, exercise a little more and eat a little less for a few days.

Spoken like someone who clearly has no metabolic issues whatsoever, if she was able to lose any excess in a few days, simply by eating a little less, and exercising a little more. Even the 2-lb range she allowed herself is really no more than a typical daily fluctuation.

If she's blaming needing knee replacements and any other woes on eating junk food for a couple of years while she was in college, and she's in her 70's now, then obviously her diet is not a healing diet.

I'm not saying I'll never need joint replacements simply because I've been on LC for well over a decade (after eating a rather junky "all things in moderation" diet for at least 30 years, and being massively overweight for a good bit of that time, since I was under the impression that aside from age, excess weight and the genetic tendency towards arthritis are the primary contributing factors to joint degeneration), but if keeping her weight under control, and eating such a perfect diet all those years did nothing to alleviate those problems, simply because of a couple years of eating junk while she was in college 50 years ago, then there's absolutely no hope at all for those who have been eating junk their entire lives. Same with needing statins.

Might as well groom all the high school kids to go to med school and become orthopedic surgeons and cardiologists, because we're going to need millions of them to keep up with the demand for their services in the next 50 years, especially since they'll be needed to treat each other too.