#5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-18, 08:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Interesting picture of a kid eating a healthy snack at that link. Looks like yogurt, puffed rice cereal, and strawberries. Probably too much to hope that it's not sugary yogurt.

I searched for the Ludwig editorial, got this;

http://pediatrics.aappublications.o.../peds.2017-4078

Link works in preview for me, at least.

edited to add--it's pay to view, so probably won't give any more information than we already have to most of us.

Clicked Download .pdf under title...the full 2 page op-ed and companion opened with references.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.o.../peds.2017-3459

Quote:
"We have known about this epidemic of childhood obesity — and have been pouring research dollars and public health dollars into this problem — for at least 20 years," says Dr. Sarah Armstrong, an associate professor of pediatrics at Duke who helped conduct the analysis. "And despite that, we don't seem to be making a big dent in the situation."

"We need to double down our efforts and find out what's going to work," she says, "or the health of our future generation is really in jeopardy."

After seven years in the low-carb world, it drives me crazy when I see academics at Duke and the other NC universities (that is everyone who authored this study**), and also particularly Kelly Brownell, who just can't figure out how kids have gotten so fat and are clueless how to fix it! Get yourself over to the community clinic where Dr. Westman has been treating obesity for 20 years.

And if it drives me crazy, I'm surprised Dr. Westman remains as calm as he does.

**Departments of aPopulation Health Sciences and cPediatrics, and dDuke Center for Childhood Obesity Research, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina; bDuke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, North Carolina; Departments of eDivision of Public Health Sciences, Epidemiology and Prevention and fPediatrics, School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina; and Brenner Families In Training Program, Brenner Children’s Hospital, Winston-Salem, North Carolina