View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-18, 07:45

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%
Default No Downturn In Obesity Among U.S. Kids, Report Finds

Hopes were dashed this week that the United States was finally making progress in the fight against childhood obesity...

Quote:
Contrary to previous reports, the epidemic of fat has not abated. In fact, there's been a big jump in obesity among the nation's youngest children, according to the latest analysis of federal data, published Monday in the journal Pediatrics.

"The main take-home message for me is that, clearly, obesity remains a problem," says Asheley Skinner, an associate professor of population health services at Duke University and leader of the analysis. "It's not improving."

Childhood obesity rates have been rising for decades, sparking widespread alarm among public health researchers and officials. Obese children tend to become obese adults, who are prone to many health problems, including cancer, heart disease and diabetes. ...

In fact, the scientists say, there was a disturbingly large increase in obesity among the youngest children — ages 2 to 5 years old. In that age group, obesity increased from about 9 percent to almost 14 percent.

"It is a big jump," Skinner says. "That's the highest level of obesity that we've seen in 2- to 5-year olds since 1999." ...

In an editorial accompanying the study, Dr. David Ludwig of Boston Children's Hospital calls for a more comprehensive national strategy for fighting the problem.

"We haven't generated a truly systematic or comprehensive approach across society that addresses all drivers of childhood obesity — poor diet, a lack of physical activity and a healthy food supply that will encourage everyone to eat well," Ludwig says. "We need a truly national, comprehensive strategy to tackle this epidemic."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ds-report-finds

The link to the editorial by Dr. Ludwig isn't actually an editorial by Dr. Ludwig, and I can't find it elsewhere, but I expect we'll be hearing more about all this in the future.

Children as young as 2 being obese - epigenetics, pregnant women being obese?

I couldn't help but think of another article I read recently about obesity in teenagers affecting "military readiness", (political so I won't link it) but summed up in this CDC report, which is from Oct. 2017. https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivit...it-to-serve.pdf

I recall a poster from the 70s that said, "What if they gave a war and nobody came?" Back then, we wouldn't have reckoned on a time when perhaps nobody could come. I'm always struck by the photos of Vietnam when I see them, at how scrawny the soldiers were.

Given the amount of money of our country's annual budget that goes towards the military, perhaps they will be the galvanizing force to make some needed policy changes?

All that aside, I feel really sad for all the little kids and teenagers today dealing with the obesity problem. So much conflicting information floating around, for one thing.
Sponsored Links