View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 09:50

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Thud123: What I am curious to know his "how quickly" your blood sugars normalized after eliminating the carbs. I'm going hard core on this and trying to stay below 20 carbs a day and have had a pretty drastic change in just 5 days now. I am wondering how much of that decrease has to do with the diet, and how much it has to do with the medications.

Jey100: Some great info there. I found this article on false hypos:

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/...alse-hypos.html

It's kind of old and does not mention Farxiga but I have read about it and there can be some nasty side effects from Farxiga in a small percentage people. At this point, I have been on the Metformin for only a month, and the Farxiga for only 4 days and I am monitoring my glucose levels closely. Farxiga is very expensive and I could not afford it if I had to pay for it. My doctor gave me a one month supply of free samples and I am hoping not to to take it any longer than that. My doctor is 100% behind my diabetes being curable by diet and exercise and said he was only giving me this because my readings were so consistently high and that i needed "someting" to get those levels down while I adjust my diet and exercise. From what I have read, it only reduces the A1C by about .8% after 90 days and at the rate I am going, my A1C should be down by 40-50% just based on the readings I have been getting over the last couple days (if it continues). Also, risk of "false hypos" seems to be very low for folks like me not taking any insulin. I will definitely stop taking it if my blood sugar goes to 100 - just to see what happens. For now, I will continue to monitor it closely.

As far as the false hypo's go, I have not had any symptoms of that so far. On the contrary, I have always had 20/20 vision and before I started this diet, my vision was getting blurry especially at night and I had to use my reading glasses more and more. All the sudden, my vision is clearing up too! I was just reading some fine print a few minutes ago, and a week ago I would have needed my reading glasses! I also feel more energy. Before I was taking at least one, sometimes two naps a day and sleeping 10 hours at night. Yesterday I took zero naps and slept a total of 8 hours last night and only got up to pee once! Before I was waking up thirsty and having to go pee 3-4 times a nite and thirsty all day. Now I have to sort of force myself to drink water! I am really amazed about what has happened in just a few days. I am going to give it at least a few more days like this before I try discontinuing the meds. Thanks for the warning though! I am going to monitor myself very closely.

Bill