View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 06:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Science: mired in wrong thinking

It's not about nutrition, but I think it illustrates the same challenges.

How bad science misled Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients

Quote:
But we shouldn’t take solace in the comforting notion that science is self-correcting. Many people, including many very sick people, had to invest immense effort and withstand vitriol to use science to correct these mistakes. And even that might not have been enough without Tuller’s rather heroic investigation. We do not currently have a sustainable, reliable method of overturning flawed research.

My bold. Because that is what we are dealing with in nutrition science, too.

It is very clear to me now that science is just another institution to be corrupted by big business to increase their profits. Not that this is news to anyone here, but it explains how so many people have no tools at all for evaluating information by themselves; and the stuff they get from "the news" is another layer of agenda on top of the original agenda.

I have begun explaining to people why I don't believe bad science, and I explain what bad science is. It is astonishing to people who are used to believing headlines; and sometimes, it gets them to see why that is such a bad idea.

Vegans are my personal irritant; and they have planted the seed in a lot of heads this their way is the healthiest way; when it is probably the worst!

But take heart: debunking such has always been difficult, and it is getting easier.
Sponsored Links