View Single Post
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 14:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The most important value is the ratio of triglycerides to HDL, which should be less than 2:1. Yours is less than 1:1, which is excellent.

Your other numbers are being affected by the fact that you are actively using your own body's fat for fuel. If you are using fat for fuel, where will that fuel be found? In the bloodstream, of course! As you are actively losing weight, the amount of fat in the bloodstream is higher. When you get closer to goal, it will drop.

My TC and LDL were always pretty low. But last November, they were both "slightly high", although, as yours, my trig to HDL ratio was less than 1:1, and I was pretty happy about the whole thing.

Whatever you do, do NOT get on statins: they are terrifically dangerous, and much too readily prescribed.

Ken (krussva) had really high readings of TC and LDL, about a year ago, and started adding a lot of fiber to his diet. By his next reading, the values had normalized.

What he did was to lower, a bit, animal fat and change it to vegetable, and eat a one minute muffin made with flax seeds daily.

The only downside to that that I can see is that the long term results of lowering cholesterol by changing the type of fats eat or statins seems to be an increase in CVD, not a decrease. Ansel Keys and his fellow researchers at my alma mater, the University of MN, did a study on that back in the late 60's, early 70's, and conveniently "forgot" to add that rather crucial piece of data to their findings.