#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 10:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Larry had'a little lamb (shank)

Hi all,

I love those meat markdowns at the market. Recently on sale I got two lamb shanks. They weighed 1.77 pounds. Here's how I cooked 'em:

1 Tps olive oil
2 lamb shanks
salt and pepper
1 medium-sized coarsely chopped white onion
-- garlic, as much as you like
1 pinch of dried thyme
1/2 cup liquid (chicken stock, wine, water . . . whatever)
1 medium tomatoe chopped
1 cup mixed olives (no pits. I used green salad olives and canned sliced ripe olives, but next time I'll get some good olives at the supermarket deli)

Heat the oil in a wok or deep skillet that has a lid. Brown the shanks, turning and adding salt and pepper as they cook. Remove them, and add onion, stirring a bit, until they turn a nice color. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a minute or two, then add tomatoe and liquid. Add shanks, roll over a couple of times, turn heat to low, cover and let cook for about 30 minues.

Turn the shanks and add the olives. Then, turning a couple of times, let the shanks cook covered on a low fire for about an hour. When they are done a fork will glide into them and the meat will be ready to fall off the bone.

(I thought some couscous would be nice with this, so I made some out of cauliflower. This involved a tiny bit of cream, a lot of butter, and a potato masher.)

For me, two generous meals. One is in the tiny freezer atop my 'fridge in a tupperware container.
Sponsored Links