View Single Post
  #146   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 07:53

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Kayso, I FINALLY made some ice cream! Strawberry. Yes, I KNOW it's winter, TYVM.

I read through this entire thread before starting. I didn't have any PolyD. Didnt have Thicken/Thin NotSugar (I think this product has been discontinued.) Have xantham gum but didn't use it. This is what I used:

Strawberry Ice Cream

200 mL cream
2Tbs cream plus SF simple syrup to make 200 mL "milk"
150g strawberries, puréed
3 egg yolks
1 T glycerine
50 mL Chambord liqueur (one of those cute little bottles)
1 tsp vanilla extract

I found the glycerine at Whole Foods, in the supplements section. They sell it as a moisturizer (but it is food grade).

To my knowledge, neither DaVinci nor Torani sell SF simple syrup, but I found this at my local liquor store. It is sweetened with erythritol and sucralose:

It did seem like a lot of fuss to make - I used my double boiler for the first time EVER to make the custard - and for such a small quantity. But I understand the need to make small quantities of ice cream LOL.

The addition of liqueur did increase the carb count quite a bit. I probably could have used half the quantity and still had a very scoopable product. but then, what would I have done with the other 25mL? Poured it down the drain? I dont think so, mon ami!

Still, per serving it ended up as 8g net carb per half cup. Not bad for an LC dessert.

Next time I will try using no liqueur, one of the previous posts. I wonder if vodka would work, or if it would give the product an "off" flavor?

The ice cream was soft and scoopable even the next morning! Good mouthfeel, great fruit flavor, and oooh la la, si delicieux!