#10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-13, 13:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
I have lived in a suburb where it is permissible to keep poultry. some of my neighbors had roosters, and let me tell you, those sons of a cluck start their crowing WELL BEFORE DAWN - like 4 AM. I can well imagine what my neighborhood would be like with dogs and cats and coyotes hunting down goats, chickens, ducks, bunnies and piglets that manage to get loose...and the ensuing lawsuits! Oh my, it wouldn't be pretty...

Roosters will crow at any time during the night if they are disturbed by noise or light. That I know from long experience!

If the people who raise backyard animals are careful to properly cage or fence their critters, there are few problems with predators. Tho I have lost cats to coyotes and a few chickens to hawks and one to a bear (I think), that's over many years so the events aren't common. The worst problem I've ever had is with neighbors who let their dogs run free.

The best back-yard food source I know of is rabbits; quiet, don't smell (if cages kept clean), provide good manure for garden, and are inexpensive. The problem a lot of low-carb people have with rabbit is that it is a very low-fat meat. However, one doesn't have to eat it alone. This morning I had bunny sausage, 2 eggs and cream. Yummy, filling, and all but the cream produced at home. I wish I had the pasture for a cow and pigs, then I'd be much closer to being self-sufficient.