View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-13, 06:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Thanks for sharing. Do the pigs kidneys end up really tender if they're cooked long enough? I hate the rubbery texture of any of the kidneys I've had when eating out in Britain. I'd love to learn a bit more about cooking offal generally, and to develop more recipes.

That recipe is a variation on one I saw Michel Roux demonstrating on a cookery show last week.. It is very rich.. probably a bit too sickly to eat a full half portion - a third portion with a side would be better, but I haven't yet thought far enough ahead to decide what type of side dish would suit it - probably brussel sprouts mashed up with butter. Next time we make the kidneys, I'd like to try some mustard added to the sauce.

I never liked kidney until I visited Barcelona and ate the sherried kidneys (rinones al jerez) in the tapas bars.. They are divine, and honestly once I discovered them, I ate them every single day for lunch. Sadly I don't know how they're made. It's a regional speciality, so the recipes for sherried kidneys which I've found online are more like the recipes found in other parts of Spain. Recently in a tapas bar in Andalucia I had the most divine kidney dish - utterly delectable with the kidneys almost as smooth and soft as a pate. I'd love to have asked the chef how he got them so tender, but my Spanish is rather limited, and I wouldn't have wanted to waste his time.. It inspired me to learn how to cook kidneys better though, and sourcing out more recipes.

Let me know if you have any tips for cooking perfect kidneys.