View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-13, 19:13

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I guess I'm fortunate that I like all the LC food I've had (except for a LC chocolate dessert - yuck) - but I do miss some of the goodies I used to eat. Yesterday I ate some meatballs without thinking first - and as I popped the 6th one in my mouth, I remembered what Dr. Bernstein said about BBQ sauce - oops. When I got home my BG was sky-high. So no more lovely meatballs.

What keeps me motivated are my good-bad-examples. I know 3 diabetics who are in worse shape than I am: my father (now deceased) who spent his last 3 years in a wheelchair and his last 6 months in bed; an acquaintance who has had both legs amputated and is dying; an old friend who used to dance but is now in a wheelchair.

Every time I'm tempted to chuck the diet - even for just one "goodie" (which is really a baddy) I think of them. I do NOT want to end up like them. I wouldn't be able to take care of my animals if I were in a wheelchair.

My husband asked me if it was "fun" learning about controlling my diabetes and all this stuff about low carb foods. I told him getting to live is fun!

I may never be able to eat more than 20g of carbs - so far that's the only way my BG gets low enough. I think I sort of backed into the LC diet. I started at 30, then realized that wasn't good enough. Went to 25 - now 20. I'm more interested in my blood sugar going down than my weight. Tho that's a great bonus!