Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 240/175/190 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Given your start weight, I think the problem at 160 was that it was probably underweight for you. The lower end of the bmi scale is for naturally lean people--people who have trouble gaining weight in the first place (or people born into paleo/non-obesogenic societies in the first place).

Sadly, I fell into the trap of wanting to look like the guys on the cover of Men's Health. My new goal is to live a long time eating good food and keeping metabolic syndrome markers in a healthy range (cholesterol, trigs, bp, glucose, body fat, lean body mass, sleep quality, etc...)

Quote:
You haven't established that the improvements you've had while eating resistant starch aren't simply the result of eating more food and attaining a healthier bodyweight.

I've never implied that. RS is something I stumbled across and thought that it made sense to add to an already healthy lifestyle. I can say that since adding it to my daily regime, my FBG and A1C are lower and my lipid labs have improved. I think that obesity and metabolic syndrome can be reversed without ever touching RS wittingly. However, I also think RS is important for a healthy gut.

Quote:
I read recently that during one of the world wars, the American government considered the possibility of farming cat's-tails, apparently it gives a better yield (better depending on your bias ) even than potato. Since it's not a wildly popular foodstuff, I assume this was wild cat's-tails they were talking about.

Cattails may have been very important for early humans. The pollen is easy to collect in quantities needed to feed a large band of people for months, stores well, and turns up in coprolite samples around the world. The roots are a source of easily accessed starch that stores well and also turns up in coprolite samples. I know people think 'Cattail? WTF?' but have you ever seen a cattail marsh, the kind found in swampy areas of the Great Lakes or European lowlands? Miles and miles of cattail marshes. Acre for acre, cattails produce more starch than potato fields.

But, please guys, keep in mind...I'm not trying to spin this into a crazy lose weight fast scheme. RS is getting a lot of attention. It's been studied for 30 years. Big Agro is very busy trying to get RS into every loaf of bread and croissant in the world. My entire point isn't that you absolutely need, or absolutely should start adding RS to your diet. My entire point is that if one day you decide that you want some RS, you don't need to eat grain or bakery products--it can be found in many sources, even low carb ones.