View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 13:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I didn't learn to cook until my forties; but I learned to bake in my teens.

So I'm second to none in my (prior) love of baked goods, and I speak as a former binger.

And it's true; after going 100% gluten-free Christmas before last, I don't want it any more.

Now, if I pass an artisan bakery, it smells good. Industrial bread really really really does not. I can smell the better bread as I do a rose; but I don't want to eat either of them.

The key is staying away completely. Just like the person who keeps sneaking out for a smoke "once in a while" finds themselves deep in the pack all over again, periodically cheating just reboots your cravings and puts them right back where they were. Like sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous; you've just thrown it all away.

It's no coincidence that I've chosen two famously addictive substances to use as an example; wheat and sugar are both addictive substances. And with all addictive substances, staying away from them, for a long enough time, breaks their spell.

It's funny when experts and lay people alike say things like, "Food is addicting, but I have to eat food!"

But the truth of the matter is this: we don't have to eat addicting food.