View Single Post
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-12, 12:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I personally think that fad diets are intentionally created to be unsustainable....so that we never STAY thin. They'd be out of work if we all followed their "diet plans" for a few weeks and stayed thin forever.

My cousin (who is not heavy at all, but still obsessed with her weight) wanted to lose 15 lbs so she could fit in a smaller size dress for a wedding last summer. So, for a month before the wedding she followed the lemonade diet: she drank ONLY water mixed with fresh lemon juice, maple syrup (for calories) and cayenne pepper (apparently to kick-start her metabolism?!?!?) for a whole month. Sure, she lost the lbs and fit into the dress, but now she's gained back the 15 lbs plus 5 more. And I'm sure she'll do another month-long lemonade diet once this summer starts coming closer. This, in my opinion is totally flawed and unhealthy. ANYONE would lose weight only consuming 300 calories worth of fluid every day.

Personally, the health of my internal organs is more important to me than fitting into a certain sized dress. Being healthy and being thin are two very different things. By my height and age my healthy BMI states I should be 112 lbs, but the last time I weighed that much I think I was 12 years old. I can't imagine being able to sustain that sort of weight now. I just don't think it's healthy for me. So, in terms of BMI, I'll NEVER be in the "optimal" range. I'll always be considered "overweight", even once I'm 130 lbs. Fad diets are for people who are willing to risk their overall health for the sake of the image in the mirror.