Old Fri, May-13-11, 14:59
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
I was diagnosed with IR recently, but only because I stayed on my doctor and 'mushed the little husky' to the finish line. I knew being on induction phase, and working out 1.5 hrs X4 days/week should have produced weight loss - but it didn't. And my doctor just kept trying to pass it off as ‘you’re getting older’ and ‘you’re past menopause, learn to live with it’. Told my doctor he better stop sloughing this off and find an answer or I would be carrying his jewels in my purse! And he prescribed Metformin (while crossing his legs).

Why do women suffer with insulin issues (and I believe most apple shaped, overweight women are IR) when medical break throughs allow an 80 yr old man to have a 4 hour erection? Most women have untreated IR till they slip into diabetes. Had it been addressed earlier, and aggressively managed then, diabetes could be delayed for years – if not the remainder of her life.

Metformin does help the IR. Metformin isn’t THE ANSWER, but it’s ONE ANSWER. The side effects are awful. But I can't lose weight unless I do some crazy crash diet - so the only answer I have now is Metformin. And living with high blood sugar kills my organs, eyes, arteries, etc.

I'm now on metformin too. If you go on the slow release type, the side effects ease off pretty quickly - I had no side effects after a month on slow release.

I've read that metformin gives those with severe insulin resistance the same chance at weight loss as everyone else, whereas before, the chance of weight loss was close to zero.

Lee