#177   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 16:02

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fialka
No this is my second round of weight loss with LC so I know how this is going to go (I got pg with IVF and had a baby who didn't sleep for about 16 months. Guess what? I can't lose weight when sleep deprived, so I am just now coming out of that and losing the baby+no sleep weight. But I am also adrenally insufficient this time as I rapidly lost 20lbs with LC, promptly got sick, ended up in the hospital and on prednisone for a month. They subsequently botched the taper even though they had the data on how fast my HPA axis shuts down and despite my protests. So now my adrenals are trashed again for the next year. Which both helps and hurt weight loss--adrenal insufficiency suppresses appetite.)

The last time I lost weight, I didn't miraculously ovulate. My cholesterol didn't change. I had the same bald spot (pregnancy helped with that, but now my hair is falling out again). It was such a let down.

In fact, I got super sick again after losing weight the last time--multiple ER visits, almost ended up in the hospital. Lost my GSV in my right leg which spontaneously collapsed one day. The only positive of weight loss was I got pg via IVF (which who knows if losing weight helped or not)?

I see no immediate health improvements with weight loss. Long term benefits are impossible to predict, but I am not too optimistic.

I am not too interested in endos telling me weight loss is my magic bullet. Just shows they aren't listening b/c I tell them my history and give them the lab work.

I worry all the time that it's too late for me, that I've wasted whatever chances I had to get this right.

F

That stinks and I have a lot of sympathy. I am also one that never felt better in a qualitative way just from losing weight and othen it's been detrimental to my health - although not nearly as detrimental as you have found. I intentionally gained 20 pounds back from my lowest point because I felt like heck, even though technically I was still obese. If you were thin, your symptoms would be taken seriously, I think - so frustrating. I run and I tend to get injured when I lose below a certain point and I always feed into the myth that losing weight will help with overuse injuries.