Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 13:16
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1
all carbs are similar. RW and and Cajun are both on LOW CARB DIETS--why? cause carbs are good for them?
yeah right!!!
They have found a point where they can eat the enemy and at least not gain. Some can't lose at 20 gms-or 10 gms. YMMV
Protein and fats are essential-carbs are not. these 2 people were interviewed by j. moore and towards the end he asked questions specifically about ZC. I think he was shocked by their answers.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/?p=3285
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/?p=3243

I don't think Jimmy would be surprised by the replies....I'm not either.

As Mary Vernon noted - the Inuit and other populations consuming an animal-based diet knew what they were doing and we can learn the hard way or take the lessons that are there for us.....one of those lessons is that the Inuit, which is really a large number of different populations, consume a variety of parts of the animal, they do not confine their eating to just the meat (flesh) and fat, but also include parts of the animal many in our culture will not eat or can not find in the marketplace.

Her example of drinking the broth from cooking (boiling) meats is important I think in that it illustrates that without us understanding what's in the broth, we may inadvertantly discard that information as something unimportant long-term - it was meat they ate, right? - and prepare meat how we like without regard to that "tradition" she spoke of and the reasons why, without *knowing why* they included the broth.

Taubes acknowledges too that some populations have lived on animal foods - he too doesn't say eat just meat (flesh) and fat...and recognizes that even in animal foods there are carbs....he notes the carbs present as glycogen (which is typically, from what I've read, 1-2% of total body weight of the animal....so whatever that works out to in the flesh, liver and other areas stored is glycogen) and there is measurable carbohydrate present in organs and other body parts.

This doesn't mean we *require* carbs, just that carbohydrate is present even in the diet of someone eating an exclusive animal food diet.....so while there is no requisite obligate requirement for carbohydrate, it exists in our diet whether we need it or not.