Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 15:35
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaliz67
But not cottage cheese with fruit? I would definitely skip the pineapple - which used to be my favorite fruit to combine with cottage cheese - because from what I've read it's too high-glycemic. But some of the lower-glycemic fruits maybe? Berries? Cantaloupe? (still can't quite understand why cantaloupe is low-glycemic but watermelon is high- I have a lot to learn!)

A lot of the Phase 2 breakfast menus in the book seem to include some sort of grain AND fruit - which, like I said, seems scary to me. (seems like adding too many carbs at once) And it also seemed a little contradictory because somewhere in the book it said that fruit first thing in the morning was probably not a good idea. But I think maybe a little bit with my cottage cheese would be OK???

I suppose I could just try it, once I get into Phase 2, and see how it works out for me. I just thought I'd ask the experts first!

Being that you are still in phase I, I tailored my answer to your needs. No fruit at all while in phase I....have you ever tried to eat chopped fresh veggies(tomato, bell pepper, onion, cucumber) with cottage cheese? I really enjoy it now even in maintenance.... with a little yummy russian dressing!

The book can drive you crazy if you look at the menus and then read the book itself. Yes, it is not wise to eat fruit first thingin the morning...at first anyway. As you progress into eating this way as a way of life, you may find that you can have a fruit serving in the am.

While you are looking for weight loss, it is wise to avoid the high glycemic fruits like pineapple, watermelon, raisins and stick to the allowable fruits on the fruit list. When you get to your goal and are maintaining, is the time to try the higher GI fruits.

So, when you do get to phase II, if you want to try to berries or cantaloupe with your cottage cheese for breakfast, go ahead!!

First week phase II is 1 fruit a day....you may want to save it for your late afternoon snack. Phase I veggies are unlimited so having them with your breakfast is a better choice...IMO!!

Hope this helps!