View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 21:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/163/150
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi! Although new to this forum, I've been down the road you are on. Same here, lost a lot of weight, close to goal and all of a sudden "Whamo" back to carbs. I'm just re-starting after months of soul searching, and yes, carbs......
One of the things I can look back on and say that it might have been a trigger was this unrelenting perfectionism that I suffer from. Four months into the program I got "caught" cheating, felt like a failure therefore WAS a failure. Instead of looking at the eating of carbs as a signal that either some food was triggering me, or my emotional state was fragile, I was judge and jury and pronounced my sentence "well, you failed, you might as well show yourself how BIG a failure you are, so go eat more carbs and proof yourself right!" Isn't that why we binge too? We disappoint ourselves by starting, then punish ourselves by continuing.
Part of my soul searching was to look at how to avoid this pattern, for it will undoubtedly rear it's ugly head again. First of all, when I fall, instead of kicking myself, I want to pick myself up, give me a hug and STOP whatever is roaring through my mind. At home the strategy is to do something different right then and there. I've made a list.....20 min on the treadmill, a walk with the dog, writing a note to some elderly friends, and other such things that make me feel worthwhile and GET ME OUT of the scene of the crime. I've done the same for other situations, driving, with friends, etc etc. I'm hoping to be positive when I slip, after all I easily commiserate about it with others, I don't throw carbs at them why not with myself? Sorry this is so long, but your situation is very similar to mine and I dare say the answer to it is part of the equation of why we want to/need to lose weight.

All the best -