View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-07, 09:26
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi there, mind if I join you? I really like this thread and am sorry I'm late arriving...but that's not unlike how I feel about strength training too!

Here is my story about strength training...it's a long one so I'm sorry about that...but I really believe in this topic and I have a lot to share...

I'm not sure where to start except to say that two years ago I was diagnosed with herniated discs in my neck and lower back...the chriopractor stood before me and asked how I wasn't in more pain. I have a good life attitude and illustrated that further by saying "so what do I need to do to avoid surgery?" The very next question was if I could join a local gym. The very next day I did.

[Please note my life before this consisted of martial arts in my mid-20s, then inactivity until 30ish, followed by lightweight cardio such as walking and water aerobics up until mid-30s. I was really in home workout mode at the time and always intimidated by gyms.]

I joined the gym and carefully began to explore the options there while getting treatments 3x/week and being taught specific stretching techniques. I was cautious through most of 2005 but did start to feel better and began to drop some weight through more activity, such as step aerobics and water aerobics. Because of my schedule, it was challenging to attend these classes, but I did my best and always tried to keep walking (something I've done for a long time even when I did nothing else). My long-term goal was always to replace the chiropractor with exercise and strengthening.

As I began to feel better and more confident, I started to explore the "express line" full-body circuit of machines that I'd been taught when I first started at the gym. It was 8 machines that cover upper and lower body. I had lost a good bit of weight by spring 2006 (down to 185) and was following a HC/LF diet and struggling with hunger. I was balancing cardio and strength, but being very tentative about it. And unfortunately in the summer, when we photographed 6 weddings in 8 weeks...I succumbed to stress eating and gained at least 10 pounds back.

After the summer I knew something had to change because I wasn't feeling "strong" at the gym (always felt hungry) and I wasn't feeling motivated to eat the foods I'd been trying to eat. I was craving fat and protein and I thought about years back when I did LCing. So by September, I was heading down a new path. (And yes, that's when I found this forum too!)

I slowly began to do more weight training (just that one area of machines I knew) and more cardio, including getting used to the elliptical. I also instinctively started to do intervals with that. I read "Eat Fat Get Thin" and began to transition...cutting out sugars and flours to start and really concentrating on eating the very things I was craving. (Isn't that ironic? Most people talk about craving carbs and I was just craving meat with fat!) It started to work and I was dropping weight and feeling much better.

By November I'd read Protein Power and found "THE" LC plan (for me, that is) and that's when I realized I needed to not just incorporate strength training into my workout but CONCENTRATE on it. I began to really push myself...challenging myself to do more and more weight. I also concentrated on strengthening my core muscles far more than before. And it all started coming together. Even though the scale didn't move, my body was reshaping. I felt like I'd finally hit my stride with diet and exercise.

As of January, I've gone a different direction with the strength training because of my personal trainer (Christmas gift). Now I'm using bands and the stability ball and free weights and my own body as resistance far more than I ever was. My abs are SO strong compared to before I am almost giddy. I'm actually doing push-ups (modified, I grant you, but it's still a big deal to me). And my trainer is pushing my balance and form, which has made my attempts at yoga MUCH better. I feel like I'm finally addressing my whole body, which feels wonderful. I'll work with him for another 8 weeks and after that I may revisit a different type of strength training, but for now I'm willing to see what he has in store for me.

As of today, I've just broken the 180 mark for the first time in...well, it must be over a decade at this point. That means 16 pounds down since September...as well as a whole different body shape.

Currently I commit to working out just 3x/week because I have such a hectic schedule. But that is my time and my investment in me, and I spend a couple hours at the gym when I go. As a matter of fact, I'm headed there today. And I'm excited to go! I'll warm-up, do lots of ab work, then resistance, and then cardio. I always end with a LOT of stretching. (I'm a big believer in that.)

I hope my story wasn't too long and boring, but as I said when I started, I really believe it it. It's been an amazing journey. I've transformed my body by concentrating on my muscles and believe that strength truly should be my focus.

And for the record, I go to the gym 3x/week but I only go to the chiropractor now once every 4-6 WEEKS as precaution for maintenance and assessment.

P.S. Women with good muscle definition are totally hot in my book! I want to be one of them! LOL