View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 22:46

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Any transition can be hard. I used to be a die hard Weight Watcher (but never reached my goal). Still I continued to believe in the program in spite of the fact that the weight kept creeping up and my energy levels kept going down.

At first it seemed impossible to find foods that would add up to 100 carbs, so my dr. said I could lower it a little.

When first beginning the Zone, Dr. Sears does not recommended reducing carbs.

I think just suddenly eating so many more carbs kind of 'set' my bodyoff (or my mind) for a few days because the cravings have gone now that I'm eating mostly veges for carbs. Last week I went back and forth atkins one day, binging the next and gained 5 pounds.

As you have experienced, going back and forth does not work in your favor. It is almost impossible to get adequate amounts of carbs from favorable vegs. alone. What fruits do you like? Steel cut oatmeal is also a great way to get carbs, along with black beans, lentils, etc.

Now my problem is the fat. I'm used to having all the fat I want, yesterday 60% fat,
60% is a but much! :o TOO much fat will be stored as fat. We've all learned fat is not our enemy. True. However, there are different types of fat: Saturated (bad), polyunsaturated (better) and monounsaturated (best). Try to get most of your fat from mono and poly sources.

I ended up with 2242calories. I'm a little lost on the fat part. I'm doing 75g carbs and 84g protein.

How did you arrive at those numbers? The minimum amounts for women are: 77g protein, 99g carb, 33g fat

I just bought a week in the zone, to get myself used to appropriate meals.
That is a great place to start. There are a few printing errors. I will try to find those for you. The block method is not discussed in that book, however, eventually, it is easier to understand and calculate blocks.
1 block is: 7g protein, 9 g carb, 3g fat, so a "typical" meal for a woman would be 3 blocks or 21g P, 27g C, 9g F

Do you think its ok to not use the blocks, I use fitday to calculate nutritional values so I just count grams.
I am not familiar with that program. If you're comfortable with it, continue to use it.

Is it okay to use nonstick sprays /lower fat salad dressing to get my calories/fat lower?
Try to stop thinking about calories all together (I know, it's hard). Sprays are fine. Dressings are fine, but you should count the carbs.

I haven't worked out yet, I planned that I would need time for my body to adjust, but I actually don't think I've felt better. The extra carbs kind of energized me.

How long have you been zoning, and what do you find difficult, and what is most rewarding?

I have Zoned for a little over a year. I made A LOT of mistakes in the beginning, but I still lost weight and never felt better. I no longer get frequent headaches and have much more energy.

If you can be faithful for two weeks following A Week in the Zone, you will never want to go back to anything else. It can take that long for your system to become accustomed to this new way of eating, plus it "clears your head" which makes learning more about it so much easier.

Two weeks! Hang in there!

thanks !

You're Welcome