#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 15:33

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Unhappy Daughter's weight - help!

Hi all

I had a visit to the doctor recently with my daughter, who is 12 and 5' 6.5" tall. It was a routine check up and included height and weight. I was disturbed to see that her weight has gone right up from the line it used to follow, to the outer borders of the shaded area of "normal". She weighed in at 71.4 kg (which is 157 pounds or thereabouts), although she does not look "fat". I also noticed that it has risen since we started eating low carb/high fat.

In fact, my daughter does not eat a low carb diet. Although I ensure that she eats protein at every meal and plenty of good fats, she is not good at eating vegetables and still eats some rice, potatoes etc. As I do not have my husband's agreement about low carb, I cannot enforce my WOE on the kids as I would like. They also get candy and ice cream occasionally. However, I would not say that she eats a *high* carb diet, either, as I rarely buy crisps, biscuits or cakes, and try to restrict their intake of rice, potatoes and pasta at meals. Apart from that, everything we eat in the house for snacks and meals is low carb/high fat.

Despite my best efforts to encourage her eating fewer
carbs - serving less at mealtimes, not buying high carb/high fat
foods, encouraging her to choose more nutritious snacks (cheese, nuts, etc), she has gained about 15 pounds in the last year. I should say, however, that she is very developed for her age. She has basically finished puberty and started menstruating last November. Thus, a sudden weight gain, I feel, has nowhere to "go", although I suppose she is still growing. She used to swim a couple of times a week, but gave that up this summer. She also walks home from school (about 30 mins walk) during term time, but both of these she was doing while she gained the weight in the last year. I'm pretty sure it's the high fat diet I'm feeding her together with the medium/high carbs she is eating. She is a carb craver, too - always asking for sandwiches, pasta, rice, biscuits, cakes (but not getting!).

Basically, I'm looking for reassurance here :-) Opinions? Advice?

Katy
Sponsored Links