View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 08:02

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Basmati has 23g of carbs per 100 g of rice with a glycemic index of 50, which is the lowest of all the true rices. So there is still lots of carbs, just that it doesn't spike your insuline *quite* as bad as let's say short grain rice. It's still quite carby though. Not something to eat with total freedom.

From the gist of your text, it's clear to me you are only going on little bits of information gathered left and right on the web mixed in with some conventional wisdom (i.e. eggs are fattening) that is much less wise than we once were led to believe. This is fine as supplementary information but you really really need the WHOLE picture. As Angela has said, it's CRITICAL you buy at least ONE low carb book so you understand what low carbing is all about. Otherwise you cannot be as succesful as you can be.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/ lists the most popular lowcarb plans and you can pick the one that you think would work for you. I wouldn't suggest Atkins, as it's the most restrictive of all the lowcarb plans and might not be possible for a vegetarian who won't eat meat nor seafood nor milk. There are lots of other good plans that offer good results but are more suited to a vegetarian. I am sure that once you pick a plan you could order the book online with no problems.

Good luck !!