Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 17:27
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince3325
I don't think it should make a difference if you at 100 lbs over weight or 30 lbs over.

LOL but it does
It's a scientific fact.

A 350 pound man is burning thousands of calories a day just sitting there breathing. It takes a ton of energy and materials to feed and nourish all that tissue.
I burn maybe 1500 or 1600 if I'm sedentary, more if I'm active. I have low muscle tone, low fat stores. It is also likely my body is conserving energy slightly from being under an "ideal" weight for my body. This will affect how much energy I need, my need for materials, and how much of an energy deficit I can create.

Ironically you can probably lose faster eating low carb food than I could if I were to fast. You're probably easily making a 1300ish cal deficit just by reducing insulin levels (making lipolysis & under eating easier) and abstaining from all those empty starch & sugar calories. That's about what I could expect to burn if I ate nothing at all (the biggest way to make a calorie deficit w/o exercising). It matters that much.

Also, let's not forget how full our fat cells are - how much extra fat you're storing - greatly influences how readily our body resists weight loss (effectively "turning down" the thermostat). You are likely a good deal away from any sort of ideal weight, your fat cells are very full, plus you haven't been dieting long at all. Your leptin levels are high, your thyroid (T3) is keeping things burning effectively. This all means you can more easily create a caloric deficit and induce body fat lipolysis.
People who are closer to their "ideal" body fat levels or under them, people who've been dieting a long time, our leptin levels our lower, and our thyroid hormone expression is less... we also tend to be hungrier & more frequently want to eat...

Yes, sorry to tell you, but LOTS of factors influence how much body fat you can expect to lose.
Quote:
Fat is fat and it should burn as quick on you third week as it does on you 10th week. Unless you are changing how you eat. Why would fat loss slow down just because there is less fat to burn?

Well most obviously, body fat is living tissue. Catabolizing body fat (or any living tissue, like muscle) reduces your body's demand for energy (to feed the tissue) and materials (to repair/maintain the tissue). This reduces the amount of food you can eat and expect to lose weight.

That's just one reason, you can reread what I wrote before for an idea of some other factors... (hormone changes that happen as one loses weight & under eats )
Quote:
Body builders cut carbs to look cut up and they start off with 15-10% body fat. They don't loose the fat 1lb a week. I think 1lbs a week drop in weight is from lack of exercise and or poor diet.

Body building is a complex science.
Body builders cycle between bulking phases (high insulin, highly anabolic) to put on muscle (with, hopefully, minimal fat) and then cutting phases (calorie/carb restriction, low insulin, highly catabolic) to lose fat (with, hopefully, minimal muscle).

I can tell you right now if you ask a body builder if he "cuts" by watching only carbs (as if that were the only factor) he will look at you like you're from mars. He knows about energy, leptin, thyroid, about how much fat he has in his fat cells & how long he's been restricting affect how easily he can lose fat.

To get really impressive, and rapid, results (in spite of low body fat)... he also has to watch calories and restrict them severely (for his needs). But keep in mind, competitive body builders are an extreme representation of someone who's interesting in aesthetics, not health or nutrition. Many things body builders do for their aesthetic goals are at odds with what is ideally healthy. The way you have to restrict calories to result in rapid body fat catabolism at only 15-10% body fat is hardly healthy, and your average dieter would likely find it very extreme and unsustainable.