#2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 11:34

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default My experience

Hi, Kathie -

I'm sure Dan will provide an answer with lots of facts and knowledge behind it, so I thought I would let you know about my personal experience. I started Body for Life (an intense weight lifting and cardio regimen) in December and gained and lost about 5 pounds during the 14 weeks that I did it. I gained steadily for about 9 weeks (while losing inches, so I know the fat was coming off!) and then gradually lost scale weight and inches for the rest of the time. I ended up at the same weight I started, but with smaller measurements. For me, my muscle gain and fat loss happened at pretty much the same rate, so I never saw a difference on the scale.

Now, I'm in my 3rd week of a CKD with morning cardio on an empty stomach 4 days a week, heavy lifting 2 days and a circuit designed to deplete my muscles on 1 day - and 2 days off. I am finally losing weight on the scale, but it has taken a while and I am working out really hard. I think the length of time it takes for changes to register on the scale is different for everybody, so don't take my story as the gospel. Be sure you measure before you start (or RIGHT NOW if you've already started exercising) and take the measurements again every two weeks or so. It can be very frustrating to be working so hard and not see any results - the scale will not be your friend for a while. Trust the tape.

OK, that's my two cents...