#7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 23:06

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I honestly believe that many health problems , today are caused by the overconsumption of the "precious" carbohydrate.

While reading posts in another site, I went to check out some of the PETA site pages.

Funny thing is, they say the same thing....only they blame meat, not carbs! LOL

They then go one to explain that heart disease, and alzheimers were non-existant until the early 1900's (it was, but as "senile dementia" of "pre-senile dementia" and other names, not alzheimer's ). They also talk about a bunch of other diseases (no, bad breath isn't a disease, it's a side effect! ) that were rare until the last century or so.

The thing is, they rationalize that the reason for the dramatic increase is due to eating more meat? Huh? Over the past century or so....and especially in the last few decades, the consumption of carbs, especially refined carbs!

So how can they blame the meat?

I do agree that some people can and should handle higher carb levels, but even at 100g/day, that's still way lower than the recomendations....not to mention the "average" american's daily count!

I see a place for sugars and flours and such...Special occasions, in very small amounts, and very rarely. (VERY rarely!) But I don't think they're bad on occasion. Again, some people can handles high GI, empty carbs, but none of us should have them on a regular basis!