#5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 06:14
Registered Member

Plan: Reduced carbs
Stats: 163/148/132 Female 160
BF:
Progress: 48%

Laura

I am 41 and think I have very similar problems to you. And I am very frustrated that doctors don't seem to listen.

My TSH test came back normal (apparently, although I wasn't given the actual test result), and my doc sent me off to a counsellor to deal with my 'depression'.

There is loads of thyroid info on the internet and I am no expert but often it is said that the TSH test isn't the most accurate test to check for thyroid problems, although doctors usually say it is. The TSH test will reveal real disease but you don't have to have one of the recognised diseases for the thyroid not to be working correctly.

I am not hopeful that I get my doctor to investigate further. So I am doing some tests that can be done privately, although you might need some sort of health practitioner who can order the tests for you (at least in the UK).

I have done an adrenal stress test which revealed that my adrenal glands are not working correctly and I am now waiting for my full female hormone panel to come back.

These were saliva tests which are very accurate. They are fairly expensive but I think worth it because you then have something black on white that you could show your doctor. And I am happy that I have looked at what could be wrong with me from all angles.

If I can't get my doctor to test my thyroid for T4, T3 and reverse T3, I am going to find a way to have that tested privately, too. I am looking at the various options how this can be achieved.

I don't know if this helps because doing all these tests privately is an expensive way to find out what is wrong and we shouldn't have to do this.

But I hope that my doctor will listen if I show him the various test results that I will have collected at the end. And if not, I can still find a private doctor who will. I found a list of doctors on a British thyroid website whose fees don't seem that bad, I am sure that there will be an equivalent in the US.

Good luck
Michaela