View Single Post
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 04:55
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I think Nille covered this issue quite brilliant with her balanced posting and I am in no way interested in joining any "war zone" since I'm just a curiosity-driven learner... Just a few words on Lisas post about protein and doctors attitudes...

My doc, who also happens to be a very good friend of mine, is very interested in my Atkins progress (we surfed the atkins site together yesterday). He is a GP and the head of the local council dr's office. Being a GP, and of humble attitude, he's not the type to judge things beforehand and he goes to great lengths to find answers to my - sometimes intriguing and challenging - questions. About this whole protein issue, we sat together and read through his medicine library to find some good answers.

He did not stress any warnings about "too much or too little protein" etc, he just quoted what the books said (that both ODing and insufficient intake of protein can cause oedema in different contexts.)

There were many terms used that I can not give a good presentation of at this moment - since I don't quite remember, but words like "albumine" (large protein that binds water in blood) and "creatinine level blood test" flew around in the doctors office.

I'd be happy to get back with source/research info when I find out from him next time we meet. (Meanwhile, as for Nilles source of protein/oedema info, I believe her doctor's/professor's highly impressive qualifications can be found somewhere in her journal...*wink-wink nudge*)

As for the pork rind debate.
Nothing to do with "Induction", just a general reflection: Pork rinds & almonds made me stall and the former probably had lots to do with my oedema forming, together with bacon, polyol salty liqourice and similar heavy sources of sodium. I try to avoid pork rinds for their sodium content, since it IS easy to "OD" them, after all - they are so crunchy and nice.

Have a great LC day everyone!

/gil

Ps. May I also draw attention to the first paragraph of this excellent board: "Atkins diet and low carbohydrate diet discussion provided free for information purposes, NOT as medical advice." I take it that means we are free to discuss personal opinions, experiences and so forth, as long as we don't promote anything obviously unhealthy.