View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 17:18

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Serena, here are my thoughts. I think that you are so close to being a good weight that it is totally unrealistic to expect the same magic bullet drops in weight that more obese people can often have in the same time frame. At your weight, research has shown over and over that you should not lose more than 10% of the excess lbs in a month, and then 5% each month after that, on average. Try to assess your resting metabolism and then your maintenance metabolism in calories. Aim at consuming, using LC, above your resting rate, but up to 500 cal's per day less than your maintenance...this way, with lots of exercise, you should lose about 1-2 lbs a month. Give yourself 6 months, not weeks, to lose your bit of excess. And remember to measure body fat, not weight anyway.
Get a calipers measure of this at your gym and throw away the scales.

One of the problems is that lower weight people seem to expect the same RATE of weight loss that larger people often show. To maintain a low weight, you will need to consume less calories and
exercise more overall. It is easier to do this on LC than on any other type of diet as you feel less hungry.

I am not losing lbs either, probably for similar reasons, plus age (I am 63 and boy does the metabolism slow down by then!!) but am down an inch in overall girth after 6 weeks of this. I tried the 'fat fast' for a day but felt awful, so back to normal lower cal, very LC for me. I think we just have to resign ourselves to looking at loss of BF rather than lbs as the goal now.

I also think that it is important to make most of the fat calories come from oils that have omega 3's rather than saturated fats. I am also going to start taking L Carnitine, which Atkins suggests, and maybe you might do this too.

Val

Val